This program is over.
Hope you didn't miss it! Browse other programs we offer.
Gyotaku II: Fish-printing Hawaiian Style
Studio Arts Workshop
Sunday, January 24, 2021 - 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. ET
REGISTRATION ADVISORY: This program will stop registration sales on Friday, January 22, 2021 at 3 p.m. ET
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
Go from black and white to Technicolor in this advanced class in Hawaiian-style gyotaku. In the traditional gyotaku process, fish are printed in black ink or sumi immediately after being caught. Now it includes printing in colorful inks and thin acrylics and adding color and texture with watercolor crayons and acrylic media. In this workshop, learn to use all these techniques to print your fish and develop your own original gyotaku style. If you’ve taken the Smithsonian Associates studio arts class Gyotaku: the Japanese Art of Fish Printing, you know the basics of fish preparation and are ready to step into color.
Download the supply list for this class
- The instructor is Sue Fierston.
- One 3-hour session
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.