Bloomsday is a good day to join food historian Francine Segan in a celebration of Ireland’s culinary treats. She sprinkles her conversation with fun trivia on topics from shamrocks to leprechauns and limericks—and tips on traveling to Ireland to taste for yourself!
Segan begins with the hearty “full Irish” breakfast, known for ingredients like sausages, bacon, beans, and black and white puddings. She takes us to tea—that is, Ireland’s four daily tea times, each served with special treats. Then it’s on to delicious potato dishes like champ, boxty, and colcannon—and, of course, rich Irish stews. Finally, Segan describes some desserts that say “Irish,” such as centuries-old sweets like yellowman, a rock-hard toffee broken up with a hammer and served in paper cones, and bambrack, a sweet bread with raisins and dried cherries that is included in a unique Irish New Year’s Eve tradition.
She also serves up tips on places to visit in Ireland, including Dublin, a UNESCO World Heritage City of Literature and home to Ireland’s oldest pub, 300-year-old Brazen Head. A visit there and you’ll learn the meaning of “it was good craic at the pub last night” and discover how local beer and whiskey is made.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.