Clockwise: Poás volcano crater, central Costa Rica, Augustine Volcano, Alaska, and Taranaki Mounga, New Zealand
Save when you purchase the Geologic Tour of the Pacific Ring of Fire series!
Most earthquakes and volcanic eruptions do not strike randomly but occur in specific areas such as those along tectonic-plate boundaries. Several of these define the Pacific Ring of Fire, where tectonic collisions drive the majority of our planet’s earthquakes and volcanoes, and over time created spectacular mountains such as the Andes and the Rockies. With its intriguing geology, the Ring of Fire has been a hotspot not only seismically and volcanically, but as a destination of interest for world travelers.
Join volcanologist and popular study tour leader Kirt Kempter as he leads a journey across seven regions of the Ring of Fire, exploring their distinctive geologic settings, and using maps, dramatic photos, and Google Earth flyovers to bring these destinations to life.
The globetrotting concludes in a state with a dynamic geology, marked by large-scale earthquakes and stunning volcanoes. To the west are the rumbling yet straightforward volcanoes of the Aleutian Islands, while southeastern Alaska, formed by millions of years of tectonic amalgamations of continental and oceanic crustal fragments, reflects a more complicated geologic profile.
If you are interested in additional Geologic Tour of the Pacific Ring of Fire sessions, see below:
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.