NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 8 a.m. ET on Friday, October 22, 2021 to allow for shipping of the required supply kit.
Explore a liberating style of abstract embroidery using an array of improvisational stitches on found fabric, specifically scraps of vintage kimono silk. Learn some of the principles of abstract art making, developing a language of marks through different stitches, and discuss color palettes, as well as how to “edit" what doesn't work in your composition. Take the entire project from beginning to end and learn how to finish the embroidery in the hoop for easy hanging. Some experience with embroidery or with abstract art making is strongly suggested.
Students are required to purchase a supply kit from the instructor; click supply list link for ordering info.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Heather Kerley.
- 4 sessions, 1.5 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.