This program is sold out.
Freestyle Embroidery Basics
Weekend Studio Arts Workshop
Saturday, October 23, 2021 - 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. ET
$55 - Member
$65 - Non-Member
NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, October 22, 2021.
In this workshop, beginners are introduced to surface freestyle hand embroidery. In this style, the stitches are applied freely, disregarding the weave or structure of the ground cloth. Students learn how to select and prepare fabric using a simple design, ready their hoop, and begin stitching. The class covers several different stitches to achieve various textures and marks, such as basic stitch, backstitch, satin stitch, and more. Take a simple project from beginning to end and learn how to finish your hoop so it can be displayed without a frame.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Heather Kerley.
- 1 session, 3 hours
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.