In this workshop, beginners are introduced to surface freestyle hand embroidery. In this style, the stitches are applied freely, disregarding the weave or structure of the ground cloth. Students learn how to select and prepare fabric using a simple design, ready their hoop, and begin stitching. The class covers several different stitches to achieve various textures and marks, such as basic stitch, backstitch, satin stitch, and more. Take a simple project from beginning to end and learn how to finish your hoop so it can be displayed without a frame.
Special Program Information
- The instructor is Heather Kerley.
- This program includes one 3-hour session.
- NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, March 17, 2023.
- This studio arts program is in person and will not be recorded.
- Please refer to the "Materials for this program" section for any applicable supply list information and/or special documents for this program.
- Please note our Health and Safety guidance for this in-person program.
- View Common FAQs about our Studio Arts programs.