Martin House (Photo courtesy of Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House)
Frank Lloyd Wright designed the Martin House for Buffalo businessman Darwin D. Martin and his family between 1903 and 1905 and is considered one of the most substantial and highly developed of Wright’s Prairie-style houses and one of the architect’s most significant early commissions. Wright was in the process of creating a bold new administration building for the Larkin Company, and Martin, the soap company’s secretary, desired a home that befitted his position as one of the leaders of Buffalo’s industrial boom.
The six historic structures on the 1.5-acre estate have been completely restored after decades of extensive reconstruction and restoration that began in 1997. The project was completed in 2019 with the restoration of the historic Wright-designed historic landscape. Mary Roberts, executive director of the Martin House, leads a live virtual tour through the first floor of the main house, the open-air pergola, and conservatory as she shares the fascinating history of the site. Curator Susana Tejada joins the program for the Q&A session. It’s the perfect introduction to this architectural gem—and might spark your own visit.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.