STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
Florence is ringed by the foothills of the Apennines and sliced by the river Arno. Narrow alleys lead between graceful piazzas where the massive scale of churches and civic buildings—and the splendid art works they house—reflect the wealth once generated by the city’s thriving economy.
The cradle of the Renaissance, Florence is replete with frescoes, paintings, sculpture, and architecture created in an era in which art was the cornerstone of cultural activity. Works by Giotto, Masaccio, Brunelleschi, Donatello, Botticelli, Michelangelo, da Vinci, and Raphael are all concentrated in the city’s churches, museums, and public spaces.
From her home in Tuscany, art historian Elaine Ruffolo traces the art and history of this jewel of a city, from the dawn of the Renaissance to the era of the Medici dukes.
World Art History Certificate elective: Earn 1/2 credit*
Upcoming Fridays at Noon Programs
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
*Enrolled participants in the World Art History Certificate Program receive 1/2 elective credit. Not yet enrolled? Learn about the program, its benefits, and how to register here.