Princess Charlotte (detail), by Johann Georg Ziesenis, ca. 1761
The enormously popular Netflix series “Bridgerton” has brought Britain’s Queen Charlotte into the limelight. It can be easy to oversimplify representations of her, especially with so much attention on court controversies and the impact of the illness of her husband, King George III, on the royal family. How accurate are the show’s portrayals of this long-reigning queen consort?
Tudor scholar Carol Ann Lloyd-Stanger explores the many ways in which Charlotte made a difference in her subjects’ lives during her 57 years on the throne and her influence on social life, the arts, and politics during the reign of George III and the Regency. Gain an appreciation of her legacy, her focus on charitable work, and how her interest in music brought an 8-year-old Mozart to the English court. Charlotte’s lengthy and complicated relationship with her husband is also examined, from their marriage just hours after they met, through a happy and productive 25-year partnership, and finally into an increasingly distant and strained experience as George’s health deteriorated and their son took over as prince regent.
Lloyd-Stanger is former manager of visitor education at the Folger Shakespeare Library.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.