Explore the basis of abstraction by studying color, line, and shape as they relate to composition. Learn to create exciting and innovative works of art using a series of drawing, painting, and collage exercises designed to examine nontraditional ways of handling traditional materials and subject matter. Students are introduced to materials ranging from charcoal and ink, to pastel and acrylic.
This is a process-oriented class with an emphasis on finding a more intuitive way of working. Each week, lessons will be structured around the examination of the work of a different contemporary artist. Individual critiques and discussions contribute to the process.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Delna Dastur.
- 8 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.