Carriers walking with cheese at a famous Dutch cheese market, Alkmaar, Netherlands
Though the Netherlands may not immediately spring to mind when thinking of outstanding cheese-producing nations, its cheese traditions are unique and prolific. The country is a leading global exporter, and Gouda is one of the oldest cheeses still being produced in the world today.
Join Christine Rai to explore how Dutch history, geography, and climate shaped its distinct cheese styles and how cheese has played a role in the wider culture of the Netherlands. Discover how global trade expansion influenced Dutch cheesemakers’ products and flavors and examine defining aspects of Dutch cheese culture, such as the renowned kaasmarkt, centuries-old markets known for their traditionally attired cheese-carriers guild members and distinctive rituals.
In addition to the fascinating history, Rai surveys how today’s Dutch cheese makers are innovating beyond their roots and shares tips and suggestions for savoring a range of delicious Dutch cheeses.
Rai is an interdisciplinarian who specializes in food studies, culture, and folklore. She leads local and international trips and tours, talks, and tastings.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.