Hot-air balloons at sunset, Cappadocia, Türkiye
Emmy Award–nominated PBS television host Darley Newman shares great places to discover in Türkiye (the now-official name for Turkey) and how to get the most out of your travels, whether you’re visiting bustling bazaars in Istanbul or venturing off the beaten path. Newman showcases the most intriguing places to experience food, culture, adventure, and history in Istanbul, Cappadocia, Anatolia, Antalya, and the Aegean Coast.
After several visits to film for two PBS series, Newman shares what she’s learned about Türkiye from insiders. In Istanbul marvel at the dazzling Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and Galata Tower, and soak up how to enjoy an authentic spa experience at a historic hamam. Explore the underground cities and unique landscapes of Cappadocia, dotted with “fairy chimneys,” the byproducts of volcanic eruptions. And find out why hot-air ballooning at dawn and cave hotels are musts here.
In Sanliurfa, walk through Göbeklitepe, an archaeological site older than Stonehenge. In Izmir and Urla along Türkiye’s Aegean coast, visit the oldest known olive oil workshop in Anatolia, taste farm-to-table cuisine, and view UNESCO world heritage sites like Ephesus and Pergamum.
Whether you’re sipping coffee in a village where time stands still or exploring modern marvels like Galataport, the world’s first underground cruise port, Newman’s travel insights provide a guide to discovering the diversity and wonders of historic and contemporary Türkiye.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.