A city that has attracted artists and creatives throughout its modern history, Santa Fe today truly offers something for everyone, especially travelers interested in art, wellness, history, and outdoor adventures. With a heritage rooted in its one-time status as the seat of power for the Spanish Empire north of the Rio Grande, the city reflects a remarkable mix of influences and historical periods, encompassing everything from the era of Spanish rulers and missionaries, the Civil War, Georgia O’Keeffe’s visions of the desert, and the lure of legendary Route 66.
There’s plenty to enjoy both downtown and farther beyond at national parks, museums, pueblos, markets, galleries, and award-winning restaurants. To help create your own itinerary, Emmy Award–nominated PBS television host Darley Newman shares insights into getting the most out of your visit to Santa Fe and uncovers some of the locally loved hidden gems that you might overlook. Learn about must-see historical sites and trails, festivals and events, and more. You even might try opera tailgating.
Darley offers suggestions on area guides whose knowledge can deepen your experience, as well as recommendations for nearby attractions, great local food, drink, lodging, and hotspots along the way. Get even more insider’s tips as she welcomes special Santa Fe experts for a conversation.
This program is presented in partnership with Santa Fe County Tourism.
Destination Cities is a new occasional series in which travel experts offer practical advice and insider’s tips to discovering great getaway locations and rediscovering familiar places with a fresh eye.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.