Don’t miss out on future programs like this.
As a Smithsonian Associates member
, you will receive ticket-buying priority.
A Decade of Disruption: America in the New Millennium
Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 6:45 p.m. ET
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
In the years that spanned 2000 to 2010, Americans experienced an unprecedented sweep of events and upheavals. The 9/11 terrorist attacks. Enron and WorldCom. Dubya. The Iraq War. Hurricane Katrina. The disruptive nature of the internet. An anxious aging population redefining retirement. The gay community demanding full civil rights. A society becoming ever more racially diverse. The housing bubble. The historic election of Barack Obama—and the angry Tea Party reaction.
The United States weathered a turbulent first decade of the 21st century, tumultuous years of economic crises, social and technological change, and war. It was bookended by two financial crises: the dot-com meltdown, followed by the Great Recession. Banks deemed “too big to fail” were rescued when the federal government bailed them out, but meanwhile millions lost their homes to foreclosure and witnessed the wipeout of their retirement savings.
In his new book, A Decade of Disruption, historian Garrett Peck chronicles how the fallout from the Great Recession led to the hyper-polarized society of the years that followed, when populists ran amok on both the left and the right and Americans divided into two distinct tribes. Hear Peck discuss why a timely re-examination of the recent past reveals how we’ve arrived at our current era of cultural division.
BOOK SALE INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons will receive two emails: one is an automatic email confirmation and the second will include a link to the Zoom webinar as a follow-up (usually given within 24 hours of registration).
- NOTE: If you do not receive your follow-up email from Zoom, please email Customer Service for assistance.
GETTING STARTED WITH ZOOM
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.