Find inspiration in art and the experiences of your lifetime in this unique course designed to engage your skills in decoding (reading) and encoding (creating) visual meaning. Each week, students explore a selected work of art from the Smithsonian’s and other collections connected to diverse universal themes—such as childhood, family, work, play, and celebrations—that reflect significant moments and milestones on your own life’s journey.
The artworks serve as the basis for hands-on exercises in a variety of artistic media and techniques such as drawing, painting, and mixed-media. Participants keep a visual-thinking journal as they learn to see like an artist and create personally meaningful works of art in terms of form, theme, and context. In a culminating project, use text, images, and newly developed visual thinking skills to create a “memoir museum”—a handmade map that traces where you’ve been in your life and where you have yet to explore.
No art experience necessary; Open to all levels.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Renee Sandell.
- 6 sessions, 2.5 hours each (no class February 21)
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.