Don’t miss out on future programs like this.
As a Smithsonian Associates member
, you will receive ticket-buying priority.
Contemporary Glass Mosaics
6-Session Evening Course on Zoom
Tuesday, April 13 to May 18, 2021 - 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. ET
Students of all skill levels find inspiration in both the ancient art of mosaics and the form’s international modern-day movement as they are guided through the process of creating a contemporary glass mosaic.
With expert guidance, students master cutting techniques and embrace classical mosaic sensibilities, including the concept of andamento (the equivalent of the painter’s brushstroke in mosaic). Sessions focus on different aspects of mosaic fabrication techniques and feature works of well-known contemporary mosaic artists.
Beginners in mosaics are required to purchase an instructor-designed kit ($65.95 plus applicable tax and shipping). The kits are available in four different patterns.
Ordering information is available on the supply list, along with supplemental materials and tools. Please place orders no later than one week prior to the first class. Experienced and returning students may provide their own materials and design if they prefer. This class stresses the use of glass tiles or stained glass.
- The instructor is Bonnie Fitzgerald.
- 6 sessions, 2 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.