"Moroccan Café" by Matisse, 1913
Composition is one of the most important elements of any artwork. This workshop examines fundamental concepts of composition and their practical application in studio-art practice, offering participants tools to enrich their own work as well to analyze and appreciate visual art in general.
The sessions include a visual presentation, discussion, and hands-on exercises, helping participants gain a finer appreciation of compositional aspects such as structure and balance, positive and negative space, contrast and color. They create several collages based on art works and themes discussed and explore connections between formal elements of visual art and the emotional impact of works of art as a whole.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
World Art History Certificate elective: Earn 1/2 credit*
- The instructor is Shahin Talishkhan.
- 4 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
*Enrolled participants in the World Art History Certificate Program receive 1/2 elective credit. Not yet enrolled? Learn about the program, its benefits, and how to register here.