Colored pencil, an often-over-looked dry medium, is coming into its own. Whether used in fine art or illustration, they can enliven work with rich, vibrant color and a dizzying range of effects. Learn basic to intermediate methods and strategies with colored pencils, guided by illustrator Lori VanKirk Schue.
Discover how to achieve watercolors’ translucency through layering, blending, and buffing strokes. Class discussion, mini projects, and demonstrations further highlight the medium’s versatility. Explore the best techniques for working in various styles from realism to impressionism. And experiment using colored pencils for illustration, portraiture, landscape, and still-life art.
It’s no surprise that colored pencils are a favorite among artists seeking an alternative to paint or pastels. The medium is also relatively inexpensive and very portable.
No previous drawing experience is necessary; all skill levels are welcome.
Special Program Information
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction online.
- All Studio Arts programs require an online ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student registered for the online program.
- This program will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- Please refer to the "Materials for this program" section for any applicable supply list information and/or special documents for this program.
- View Common FAQs and Policies about our Online Programs on Zoom.