Chris Kimball (Photo: Connie Miller)
Not only is cooking what you have delicious and more economical, it makes meal planning easy. The James Beard Award–winning team behind Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street has a new cookbook that helps readers turn to their pantries to create bright, bold meals from around the world. In Milk Street: Cook What You Have, each recipe starts with easy-to-find staples that transform mealtime from stressful to simple. The book encourages home cooks to stop shopping and start cooking what you already have on hand.
In chapters organized by the most common ingredients found find in any kitchen, Cook What You Have explores endless recipe possibilities that bring new life to staples like canned tomatoes, pasta, and chicken breasts. A can of tomatoes becomes a spicy one-pot pasta all’arrabbiata, chilaquiles rojos, a rich shakshuka, or a chicken and tortilla soup. Chicken breasts or thighs from the freezer become Hungarian chicken paprikash or a hearty chicken salad with green tahini. And pantry grains and beans turn into a quinoa and black bean burger, creamy hummus, or Cuban-style black beans and rice.
Join Kimball, in conversation with Chef Jet Tila, as he discusses how with a little bit of creativity and improvisation, any meal can be a new adventure. He also demonstrates a recipe or two from the new cookbook.
Copies of Cook What You Have (Voracious) are available for purchase.
Book Sale Information from Local Bookseller
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.