Christopher Kimball (Photo: Channing Johnson)
Please Note: This program has a rescheduled date (originally January 27, 2022).
Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street searches the world for bold, simple recipes and adapts them for weeknight kitchens. In a new book, he and his team spotlight one of the most underutilized corners of the food pyramid: vegetables.
For much of history, most cultures around the world have treated meat as an accent to a meal, not the main event—except for the United States. Milk Street: Vegetables moves the supporting culinary players to the center of the plate. It’s not a vegetarian cookbook; rather, it’s designed as education into the art of preparing vegetables.
Inspired by global pantries, the book features simple, delicious, and flavorful veg-focused recipes that span sources from Athens to Oaxaca, Cairo to Seoul, and beyond. Learn the magic of high-heat roasts, unctuous braises, and stir-fries bursting with aromatics. Standouts include Bok Choy Salad with Cucumber and Peanuts; Afghan-Style Braised Butternut Squash with Garlic-Mint Yogurt; and Lebanese-Style Spicy Potatoes with Lemon and Cilantro, among others.
In conversation with The Washington Post’s Becky Krystal, Kimball shares tips on how to prepare uncomplicated yet appealing vegetable dishes and demonstrates a recipe or two from the book.
Copies of Milk Street: Vegetables (Voracious) are available for purchase.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.