NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, January 20, 2023.
One of the most popular styles used in contemporary Western calligraphy is the elegant Italic script, also known as Chancery Cursive. It was developed from antique Latin texts and inscriptions during the Italian Renaissance by the 15th century Florentine scribe Niccolò Niccoli and became the model for italic printing types. These versatile and legible hand-written alphabets remain popular and translate well into many practical and artistic applications.
In class exercises, learn the construction of each letter to form words that have correct proportions and angles. Plan to use them for basic projects using various colors and papers. The class is appropriate for beginners or intermediate students with some familiarity with the broad-edge pen who are ready to develop their calligraphy skills.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Sharmila Karamchandani.
- 8 sessions, 2.5 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.