Breakfast at the Zoo: Look Who's New!
For Smithsonian Associates members at the Promoter ($100) level or below
Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Amur tiger Nikita from the Bronx Zoo; Playful seals seen at the Zoo’s American Trail exhibit from the underwater viewing area
Please note: Event registration closes Wed., Sept. 11 at 5 p.m. This ticket option does not include VIP access.
The National Zoo’s population is always growing. Rabbit, the Pacific harbor seal has arrived, the newly on-view North American river otter pups are thriving, and Nikita the Amur tiger is enjoying life among her friends. Welcomes are in store for Caroline, due to join her fellow Abyssinian ground hornbill, Karl, and Cali the sea lion is expecting her next pup.
In a salute to the Smithsonian’s ongoing commitment to conservation, research, and education to save wildlife and habitats for the world’s most endangered animals, this year’s Breakfast at the Zoo celebrates some of its latest residents.
After enjoying a breakfast buffet and a performance on Lion and Tiger Hill, young guests and their families can visit three children’s activity corners, each focusing on games and projects that reflect the habitats of the newest arrivals. In a special feature this year, Eva Pell, former under secretary for science at the Smithsonian, reads from the most recent in her series of middle-school adventure novels focusing on endangered species, ResQ and the Baby Orangutan, set in the wilds of Borneo.
- This special event is open only to Smithsonian Associates members and their guests.
- Pricing: Members and guests: $25 per person; children 12 and under $15; children age 4 and under admitted free.
- Registration closes Wed., Sept. 11 at 5 p.m.
- Tickets are not available at the event.
- Seating: Guests are welcome to bring their own blankets and folding chairs to breakfast on Lion and Tiger Hill.
- Parking: Use vehicle entrance in the 3000 block of Connecticut Ave NW. Lots D and E are closest to Lion and Tiger Hill. Please note there is a $25 parking fee.
- Pedestrians: Take the Red line to the Cleveland Park or Woodley Park/Zoo Metrorail stop. Enter the zoo in the 3000 block of Connecticut Ave NW.
Interested in VIP access? Upgrade to the Advocate ($175) level or call 202-633-3030 (M-F; 9-5). VIP access includes covered seating, an upgraded breakfast buffet, and other activities at the Mane Grill across from Lion and Tiger Hill. Breakfast is served within these three time slots: 8 to 9 a.m.; 9 to 10 a.m.; or 10 to 11 a.m.
View this informative update with video about the National Zoo's river otters.
National Zoological Park
Lion and Tiger Hill
3001 Connecticut Ave NW
Metro: Cleveland Park or Woodley Park/Zoo