Born and raised in France, followed by a career in food in the U.S., Emmanuel Laroche has had access to some of the world’s best food, wine, and cocktails and to the incredible people who created it all. He went on to create his “flavors unknown” podcast, where for the last four years he has interviewed some of the most acclaimed chefs, pastry chefs, mixologists, and new culinary leaders in America about how they got their start, where their inspiration comes from, what their greatest challenges are, their leadership style, and much more.
His new book, Conversations Behind the Kitchen Door, distills these diverse interviews into a look at how today’s food culture is defined and its course for the future. It also covers Laroche’s own experiences in the food industry and culinary adventures. The conversations provide insights into the minds and creative processes of leading members of the food world, their approaches to business and growth, the challenges of both failure and success, and the varying elements behind an accomplished dish or drink.
In a conversation with acclaimed chef Jose Garces, Laroche discusses what he’s learned from these interviews, along with advice and inspiration from their subjects. They also share how their careers began, what they learned from mentors, how they mastered proper techniques, and trends to expand their culinary horizons.
Copies of Conversations Behind the Kitchen Door (Morgan James Publishing) are available for purchase.
Book Sale Information from Local Bookseller
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.