Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden, Cape Town, top (Photo: Olga Ernst); Flower Dome, Gardens by the Bay, Singapore, bottom (Photo: Supanut Arunoprayote)
Save when you purchase all 6 sessions of this Botanical Gardens series!
Whether they are park-like retreats, centers of research, or incorporate both, the world’s botanical gardens are museums with living collections that tell unique stories. They might represent the curated vision of an artist, such as the Marjorelle Garden in Marrakech—which includes a cubist villa—or encompass a natural desert landscape, as does Arizona’s Boyce Thompson Arboretum.
Naturalist Keith Tomlinson surveys some of the most remarkable botanical gardens, covering locations in Turkey, South Africa, Singapore, Morocco, Missouri, and the Washington, D.C., area. Filled with stunning images, Tomlinson’s virtual explorations examine the history, beauty, and scientific importance of each memorable destination. This program focuses on St. Louis's Missouri Botanical Garden.
An interpretive naturalist and former administrator at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna, Virginia, Tomlinson has studied wilderness areas and botanical gardens across the globe. He is the author of technical and popular articles on the conservation of plant diversity, botanical-garden travel, and environmental education. His work has been featured in the New York Times, Honolulu Advertiser, and Wall Street Journal, and he has served as a natural-science consultant on books including the Smithsonian’s Guides to Natural America.
ADDITIONAL BOTANICAL GARDEN PROGRAMS
If you are interested in additional Botanical Gardens programming, view the upcoming schedule:
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of each session. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of each session, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.