Spend a day on a journey into the enchanting embrace of autumn at Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, a 1,700-acre natural and cultural preserve along the Patuxent River less than 25 miles outside of Washington, D.C.
Join Liana Vitali, naturalist and educator at Jug Bay, and park volunteers to explore the preserve and learn about the unique ecology of the area against a background of rich fall colors. Embark on a hike, covering a portion of the 19 miles of trails—and be sure to bring your binoculars, because along the way you’ll spot some of the sanctuary’s nearly 300 species of birds, including native osprey and waterfowl. Glide through the expansive golden marsh on a pontoon boat. Savor the essence of the area with a wine tasting featuring selections from a local vineyard.
A catered lunch is included.
Know Before You Go
- Tour participants meet on site at Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Road, Lothian, MD.
- Additional information is emailed one week prior to the tour.
- Registration for this tour will end by 2 p.m. ET on Friday, October 13, 2023.
- Smithsonian is a mask-friendly environment. Masks are strongly recommended to be worn on buses at all times and may also be required at various indoor sites.
- For additional tour information: