Artists in Depth at the Barnes Foundation: Modigliani and Soutine
Virtual Daytime Tour
Thursday, January 21, 2021 - 10:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. ET
$35 - Non-Member
"Madame Hanka Zborowska Leaning on a Chair", 1919 by Amedeo Modigliani (Barnes Foundation)
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
VIRTUAL TOUR SERIES DESCRIPTION
Drawing on what is considered one of the greatest post-impressionist and early modern art collections in the world, Barnes Foundation educator Penny Hansen guides a series of live virtual tours that examine in depth the paintings of five artists who helped shape a truly revolutionary period in the history of art.
Using high-definition Deep Zoom technology, she leads participants through the Philadelphia museum’s galleries and provides astonishingly close-up views of the canvases, revealing their paint surface, brushstrokes, and details in ways that bring the art and the artist vividly to life. All programs provide the chance to interact with the presenter in a Q&A session.
THIS VIRTUAL TOUR'S FOCUS
Modigliani and Soutine
Barnes was the first American collector to buy the works of Amedeo Modigliani and Chaim Soutine, an artist he is credited with discovering in 1922. The Italian Modigliani and the Russian Soutine became great friends when they met in Paris in 1915 and were well-known figures among the avant-garde artists of Montparnasse. Hansen uses selected works in rooms of the Barnes Foundation for an in-depth exploration of their different painting styles, colorful lives, reverence for the art of the past, and subsequent influence on later generations of artists.
World Art History Certificate elective: Earn 1/2 credit*
If you are interested in additional Artist in Depth at the Barnes virtual tours, view the upcoming schedule:
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
*Enrolled participants in the World Art History Certificate Program receive 1/2 elective credit. Not yet enrolled? Learn about the program, its benefits, and how to register here.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.