Artisanal Bread Making: Innovation Is on the Rise
Evening Program on Zoom
Wednesday, March 31, 2021 - 6:45 p.m. ET
What’s in store for bread making? Find out when a panel of top bakers mix it up in a conversation that spans traditional and new methods of sourcing ingredients to trends in the baking process itself.
Daniel Leader, founder of Bread Alone Bakery in New York’s Hudson Valley, leads a lively discussion with Francisco Migoya, head chef at Modernist Cuisine (and co-author of Modernist Bread) with years in bread research and development, teaching, and other creative bread pursuits, and Melissa Weller, New York-based bread maker extraordinaire and author of A Good Bake. They take a fascinating look at the evolution of artisan bread, from advances in wheat farming and milling to sourdough starts and the mechanics of mixing dough. They also debunk popular myths such as bread was better in the past and share tips on how to achieve professional results at home.
Information on how to purchase Leader’s book Living Bread: Tradition and Innovation in Artisan Bread Making (Avery), Weller’s book A Good Bake (Knopf), and Modernist Bread, co-authored by Migoya, is available at the program.
BOOK SALE INFORMATION
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.