Please call us at 202-633-3030 to register for this Overnight Tour, so we may confirm your room arrangements.
An Artful Weekend in Philadelphia: An Impressionist Immersion
Depart: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 9:00 a.m.
Return: Monday, August 12, 2019 - 9:00 p.m.
Double Room Non-Member
Single Room Non-Member
"In the Loge", ca. 1879, by Mary Stevenson Cassatt (Philadelphia Museum of Art)
The art of impressionist-era creators is in the spotlight during a 2-day visit to several of Philadelphia’s outstanding collections led by art historian Ursula Rhen Wolfman.
Begin with a guided tour of the Philadelphia Museum of Art’s special exhibition The Impressionist’s Eye, devoted to the works of Monet, Cassatt, Van Gogh, and other leaders of the tightly knit group who revolutionized art in the early 1900s. Covering sculpture, painting, and works on paper, the exhibition includes works of approximately 70 impressionists and post-impressionists and draws mostly from the museum’s own holdings.
Works by Renoir, Cezanne, Seurat, Monet, Manet, and Degas are among the treasures in the Barnes museum’s legendary collection of French impressionist and post-impressionist masterworks. Join a private guided tour of the galleries before the museum opens to the public, then enjoy time on your own before lunch in the museum’s beautiful Garden Pavilion.
Focus on the art and legacy of one of France’s most influential sculptors at a visit to the Rodin Museum. Showcased in an elegant Beaux-Arts–style building, the collection of nearly 150 bronzes, marbles, and plasters represents every phase of Auguste Rodin’s career.
The art of cuisine—in distinctive Philadelphia style—also gets a nod during the visit, as a chef-led progressive international dinner introduces you to the hidden gems of South Philly’s Restaurant Row.
Hotel accommodations are in Philadelphia’s historic district.
World Art History Certificate elective: Earn 1/2 credit
- Cost includes bus transportation, lodging, all activities, and the following meals: one breakfast, two lunches, and one dinner.
- Tour departs by bus from the Mayflower Hotel, Connecticut Ave. and DeSales St., NW., with a pickup stop at the the DoubleTree Hilton Laurel, 15101 Sweitzer Lane, Laurel, Maryland, at about 9:40 a.m.
- Single-room supplement $105 (factored into the Single Room Member and Single Room Non-Member pricing).
- Singles registering at the double-room rate are paired (on a nonsmoking basis) if possible, but must pay the single-room supplement otherwise.
- Detailed information is mailed to registrants about four weeks prior to departure.
- Registrants may want to consider purchasing trip insurance.
Detailed information for overnight tours
is mailed approximately FOUR WEEKS
prior to departure.