Create a portrait of your favorite animal or pet. Students learn to grasp the essence of an animal, then discover how to promote the characteristics of their animal on canvas using primarily acrylic paints. The goal is to produce artwork that best captures your animal in a whimsical or realistic depiction.
The many styles of animal portraiture are covered from abstract to realistic. Collage and other materials are also demonstrated and discussed as possible additions to your artwork.
Have a reference photo of your pet or animal subject and any personal materials that you would like to incorporate into your artwork.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Lori VanKirk Schue.
- 2 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.