All You Can Eat: A Culinary History of America
Wednesday, November 18, 2020 - 6:45 p.m. ET
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
Food permeates almost every facet of our daily lives. We think about food all the time, but that doesn’t have to mean just meal-planning, calorie-counting, or deciding what to order for takeout. We can also think about food historically. “It’s as American as apple pie” is a common saying, but what actually makes apple pie “American?”
In reality, food culture has changed along with American society. The foods our grandparents considered “normal” were vastly different than what we eat today. Throughout American history, food has been a battleground where culture, ethnicity, race, and identity clash. In fact, in the 1890s, New Yorkers found the Italian immigrant dish of spaghetti with tomato sauce to be so threatening to American values that some sought to outlaw it. Hamburgers, too, were once viewed by many Americans to be a disgusting foreign food.
Allen Pietrobon, an assistant professor of global affairs at Trinity Washington University and an award-winning historian, guides a culinary tour that explores our food culture since 1850 and examines how what Americans ate both drove and reflected historical changes in the country. Learn how immigration, economic forces, politics, religion, gender, foreign policy, and debates over national identity all have played a role in determining what went into our bellies.
- Once registered, patrons will receive two emails: one is an automatic email confirmation and the second will include a link to the Zoom webinar as a follow-up (usually given within 24 hours of registration).
- NOTE: If you do not receive your follow-up email from Zoom, please email Customer Service for assistance.
GETTING STARTED WITH ZOOM
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.