The beautiful decorations of religious and secular manuscripts are centuries-old Islamic traditions. In this beginning course, students learn elements of gold-leaf manuscript illumination in the Afghan tradition. They create geometric, vegetable, and floral motifs and nature-based designs using graph and tracing paper and transfer their designs onto fine-art paper. They then learn to color the designs with opaque watercolors, outline them in black ink, and apply illuminations using gold leaf and gum Arabic to create stunning ornamentation for calligraphy and manuscripts.
Special Program Information
- The instructor is Sughra Hussainy.
- This program includes 8 sessions, 3 hours each.
- NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, July 7, 2023.
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction online.
- All Studio Arts programs require an online ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student registered for the online program.
- This program will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- Please refer to the "Materials for this program" section for any applicable supply list information and/or special documents for this program.
- View Common FAQs and Policies about our Online Programs on Zoom.