The Oscars are going to be different this year. With the pandemic having forced many major films to push their release dates to 2021 or beyond, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences has made dramatic changes to shift the date of the ceremony to April 26, expand the eligibility window, and allow most streaming films to compete, whether they had a theatrical release or not.
In most years, you’d have assembled your own slate of favorites in the Oscar race long before the ceremony. There’s nothing more enjoyable than comparing your picks, talking about the nominated films and performers—and of course, those you felt really should have gotten a nod—with other movie fans. But this year, you might want an expert to help guide you through the process.
Washington City Paper film critic Noah Gittell is back for an evening that focuses on all things Oscar, from Academy Awards history and trivia to discussions of this unusual year's nominations and behind-the-scenes stories. He sorts through all the story lines, rumors, and gossip, so that when the telecast begins, you'll be the most knowledgeable guest at your virtual Oscar party. Sip something festive and cast your vote for the winners in several major categories, with the most accurate predictions eligible for prizes after the awards are presented.
Gittell has covered the film world and Hollywood for the Atlantic, Guardian, Salon, and L.A. Review of Books. He is a regular on-camera contributor to BBC's "Talking Movies."
ORDER A SNACK BOX
Due to unforeseen circumstances, Cheesemonster Studio is unable to take any more orders at this time. If you already ordered a snack box, they will still be able to fulfill the request. If you have any questions, please contact them through their website.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.