Embroidery by Wafa Ghnaim
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
For generations, Palestinian women have gathered with their daughters to work collectively on embroidery projects, bonding with one another over a cup of tea. Guided by Wafa Ghnaim, who began her training in embroidery with her mother at age 2, learn the basic Palestinian cross-stitch and how to create a tatreez sampler, using a standard size sheet of Aida cloth fabric and one that can incorporate numerous patterns and eventually become a wall-hanging.
If you have already begun a tatreez sampler, this workshop will teach you traditional patterns and stitching strategies to further develop your piece. You are not required to take all three workshops in this winter series (Jan. 29; Feb. 26; and March 12)—you may take one, or all. The purpose of the sampler series is to develop your stitching skills, introduce you to new patterns throughout the region’s history, as well as learn more about textiles produced in the Holy Land throughout the centuries.
Open to students of all skill levels, learn the history and meaning behind traditional Palestinian patterns, basics of transferring a pattern to fabric, threading a needle, various cross-stitching methodologies, how to keep the back of your cloth clean, color theory and design, project planning, and motif repetition. No experience is required.
Download the supply list for this class
- The instructor is Wafa Ghnaim.
- One 2-hour session
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.