STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
With a career that spanned six decades, Sir Alfred Hitchcock was anointed the Master of Suspense for a slew of films that brought audiences to the edge of their seats. In fact, his distinctive style became known as Hitchcockian for its camera angles that made the viewer an uneasy voyeur in order to maximize anxiety and fear. Beneath the often- shocking surface images lurked a mesmerizing and richly layered subtext that reveals a far more sophisticated artistic ambition than he’s been given credit for. And his signature was to always make a cameo appearance in each of his films.
Join Marc Lapadula, a playwright, screenwriter, film producer, and senior lecturer in film and media studies at Yale University, as he peels back the layers of meaning beneath Hitchcock’s bold intentions and sheds the proper light on what this grandmaster of cinema so eloquently expressed in his films. Using clips from The 39 Steps, Notorious, Shadow of a Doubt, Suspicion, Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds, he highlights the magnum opus of a man who continues to be regarded as one of the most influential filmmakers in the history of world cinema.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.