IMPORTANT: Please refer to the TICKET POLICIES section below for general ticket sales information, terms and conditions, and event check-in procedures.
EVENT SCHEDULE & GENERAL DETAILS
5:00 to 6:30 p.m. Visionary Artist Award Reception
- Attend the Visionary Artist Reception for the most exclusive event with the opportunity to mingle with our 2020 Visionary Artist Award recipient, Patti Warashina, and our show VIPs (jurors, curators, movers and shakers)!
- Hors d’oeuvres and libations will be served.
- Witness the Award Ceremony, honoring Patti Warashina, as well as the Best-in-Show, the best of each category and more.
6:30 to 9:00 p.m. Preview Night Benefit - Buffet, Wine and Cocktails, Shopping, Meet the Artists
- Preview Night Benefit includes a sumptuous buffet and wine and cocktails.
- Meet artists juried into the 2020 Smithsonian Craft Show.
- Shop in an intimate atmosphere and see the exhibitors' works before public viewing.
- Receive a general admission ticket to return to the show during regular Craft Show hours.
- Support the Smithsonian!
Get up close and personal with the 2020 Visionary Artist Award recipient, Patti Warashina, before the party begins on our opening night! Guests attending the Visionary Artist Reception are treated to an exclusive, intimate affair, including an opportunity to celebrate the show artists who will be honored for their outstanding artistic achievements.
Immediately following the reception, our Preview Night Benefit awaits you with the opportunity to shop early and meet the exhibiting artists without the crowds, while enjoying a sumptuous buffet with wine and cocktails.
ABOUT PATTI WARASHINA
Patti Warashina, recipient of the 2020 Smithsonian Visionary Artist Award, is honored for her work in ceramic sculptures.
Patti Warashina is University of Washington Professor Emerita, and at age 79, continues to craft smart, funny, and sometimes heartrending figurative sculptures with masterful proficiency, exploring such themes as the absurdity and foibles of human nature, feminism, and other timely political and social topics.
Her many honors include two National Endowment for the Arts grants, fellowship in the American Craft Council, Lifetime Achievement Award/Woman of the Year from Seattle’s Artist Trust, and a distinguished alumnus award from the University of Washington.
Numerous institutions hold her work in their permanent collections including the Los Angeles County Art Museum, American Craft Museum, Seattle and Tacoma Art Museum, and the Kyoto National Museum of Modern Art, among others. Selected works will be on display at the show.
Presentation of the award will take place during the Visionary Artist Reception immediately prior to the Preview Night Benefit.
The Visionary Artist Award is presented to artists who have reached the pinnacle in sculptural arts and design, who have works in major museums, and who have demonstrated distinction, creativity, artistry, and vision in their respective medium. Previous Visionary Artist Award recipients include Wendell Castle, Albert Paley, Toots Zynsky, Dale Chihuly, Faith Ringgold, and Joyce J. Scott.
Ticket Sales Information
- Advance tickets are available online at SmithsonianAssociates.org or by calling 202-633-3030 (M-F; 9-5).
- Advance sales will cut off at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, April 21, 2020.
- Door sales will depend on availability.
Terms & Conditions
- Tickets are not mailed, so please keep your order confirmation as a reference (sent via email).
- Tickets are not subject to additional discounts or promotions. There are no special Smithsonian Associates member rates for Craft Show events.
- Check in occurs at the National Building Museum Admission desk for all Craft Show events.
- To expedite entry, please bring your order confirmation with you, either printed on paper or by showing your confirmation email on your smart phone.
National Building Museum
401 F St. NW
Washington, DC 20001
Metro: Judiciary Square (F St. Exit)