The 2-Day Getaway: Rediscovering the Mid-Atlantic Region
Evening Virtual Tour
Wednesday, October 7, 2020 - 6:30 p.m. ET
Thomas Point Lighthouse, in the Chesapeake Bay
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
Though no one is packing for far-flung places these days, residents of the Mid-Atlantic have an advantage when it comes to closer-to-home travel choices. This geographically and culturally diverse region boasts plenty of appealing destinations that can be reached within a few hours’ drive from wherever you live and enjoyed over just a few days.
Whether that getaway is calling you right now or you’re looking ahead to next year, environmental historian Hayden Mathews is ready to offer a wealth of tips and insights to spark your travel plans.
In a new series, he surveys the sweep of the Mid-Atlantic from the mountains of Pennsylvania to coastal Virginia with in-depth looks at the most interesting places, beautiful natural attractions, and significant historical and cultural sites that should be part of your mini-vacation. He also provides background on each area’s distinctive geographical and environmental profile.
Over the course of the series, individual programs cover Philadelphia and the Brandywine Valley; the eastern and western shores of the Chesapeake; the Washington, D.C. area; the Piedmont and Shenandoah Valley; West Virginia, western Maryland, and southwestern Pennsylvania; and Virginia’s Northern Neck.
In the series’ introductory session, Mathews sets the stage for travel as he use maps, photographs, and special graphics to provide a broad-ranging look at the ways in which the Mid-Atlantic region is unique and the varied environmental and cultural forces that shaped it.
Even if you know your own region well, these guided virtual surveys of the Mid-Atlantic offer the chance to discover some great new or overlooked spots to add to your must-see list—or find the perfect reason to finally set off for a place you’ve long wanted to visit. And the best part? You can pack light.
ADDITIONAL MID-ATLANTIC VIRTUAL TOURS
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.