The Shenandoah Valley , Virginia
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
VIRTUAL TOUR SERIES DESCRIPTION
Residents of the Mid-Atlantic have an advantage when it comes to closer-to-home travel choices. This geographically and culturally diverse area boasts plenty of appealing destinations that can be reached within a few hours’ drive from wherever you live in the region
Environmental historian Hayden Mathews guides a series of virtual tours to whet your appetite for independent exploration and spark your travel plans. During each, Mathews covers the history and background on each area’s distinctive geographical and environmental profile, and offers stunning images, lots of tips and insights for visitors, and other useful resources.
Even if you know your own region well, these surveys of the Mid-Atlantic offer the chance to discover some great new or overlooked spots to add to your must-see list—or find the perfect reason to finally set off for a place you’ve long wanted to visit.
THIS VIRTUAL TOUR'S FOCUS
The Shenandoah Valley and the Blue Ridge
This picture-perfect area of Virginia is known for its battlefields, mills, caves and caverns, mountain panoramas, and wineries. Mathews’ virtual itinerary includes a working grist mill, breathtaking overlooks, extraordinary caves, a confluence of mighty rivers, Civil War battlefields, and museums that bring this storied valley to life. Highlights include Shenandoah National Park, Burwell Morgan Mill and State Arboretum, and Luray Caverns.
MID-ATLANTIC VIRTUAL TOURS
If you are interested in additional Mid-Atlantic virtual tours, view the upcoming schedule:
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.