Registration Advisory: Please read through the complete program description before registering. This series includes wine tasting kits as part of its ticket price that must be picked up from a local Washington, DC wine bar.
Note: These programs can be purchased separately. Registration for this series will end by 9 a.m. ET on Friday, April 22, 2022.
Spend three fascinating evenings expanding your knowledge of the world of wine as you sip along with sommelier Erik Segelbaum in a series of delectable adventures. Each immersive program includes a curated personal tasting kit to enhance the experience.
April 22 California's Central Coast: Santa Lucia Highlands to Paso Robles
California boasts an immense diversity of wine growing regions. While the northern appellations tend to be the most widely known, California has some amazing gems up its sleeve. The Central Coast regions of Santa Lucia Highlands and Paso Robles can perfectly ripen virtually every style of grape from Burgundian Pinot Noir and Chardonnay to extracted Cabernet, Syrah, and Grenache—and everything in between. Join us on an adventure through some of the undiscovered gems of Central Coast viticulture.
May 20 Italy off the Beaten Path: Regions and Varieties for Your Vinous Radar
With hundreds of appellations and more than 2,000 indigenous varieties, Italy's wine world is enough to make even the most professional sommelier's head spin! Join us on this in-depth exploration of some of the wines, grapes, and regions that should be on every wine-lover's radar. If you've ever wanted to drink like an Italian sommelier, this is the seminar for you!
June 24 Unexpected Australia: Game-Changing Wines and Vines Down Under
When most people think of Australian wine, they likely default to Shiraz/Syrah. However, Australia has so much more to offer to the vinous world. Hundreds of varieties thrive in Australia representing every style from cool climate, high-acid elegance to Mediterranean warmth to new takes on continental expressions. This deep dive into the unexplored side of Australia is a can't miss for anyone who loves elegant, balanced, and pure wines.
Photo Caption (upper right): Erik Segelbaum
Wine Tasting Kit Information
- The cost includes curated personal tasting kits with enough wine for one person to sample the full lineup of wines.
- Additional participants must register individually to receive their own tasting kits, which is an essential component of the series.
- Each session will have separate kits available during two scheduled pick-up times the day before the program and the day of the program, 12–4 p.m. at The Eastern wine bar in the Capital Hill neighborhood (360 7th Street SE; Metro: Eastern Market, Orange, Silver and Blue Lines).
- Pick-ups are contactless, with all appropriate health, safety, and social distancing precautions. Due to state and federal laws, wine kits may not be shipped.
- NOTE: Patrons will receive additional wine tasting kit pick-up information by email prior to each session.
About Erik Segelbaum
Erik Segelbaum is a Wine Enthusiast 40 Under 40 Tastemaker for 2020 and Food & Wine magazine’s 2019 Sommelier of the Year. He holds the designation of Advanced Sommelier through the Court of Master Sommeliers, one of fewer than 600 specialists in the world who hold this level of certification. Segelbaum is the former corporate wine and beverage director for Starr Restaurants, a wine journalist and educator, and chief vinnovation officer of SOMLYAY hospitality and private events consultancy.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of each session. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of each session, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.