REGISTRATION ADVISORY: Please read through the complete program description before registering. This series includes wine tasting kits as part of its ticket price that must be picked up from a local Washington, DC wine bar.
Note: These programs can be purchased separately. Registration for this series will end by 9 a.m. ET on Friday, May 7, 2021.
Spend three fascinating Friday evenings expanding your knowledge of the world of wine as you sip along with sommelier Erik Segelbaum in a series of delectable adventures. Each immersive program includes a curated personal tasting kit to enhance the experience.
MAY 7 Wherever I May Rhône
The Rhône Valley is home to some of the world's most iconic appellations such as Hermitage and Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Despite being part of the same broad region, the northern and southern Rhône produce distinctly different wines styles, a contrast mirrored in the products of their winemakers. Explore why Syrah and Viognier reign supreme in the north while Grenache and Marsanne rule down south. Find out why why the north is more mono-varietal and the south is all about the blends. As you discuss and taste multiple expressions from across the Rhône Valley, discover why wines from this beautiful area of France are favorites of sommeliers the world over.
JUNE 4 Grape Explorations: Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in Context
Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are among the most well-loved yet most misunderstood grapes on the planet. Their ability to express terroir or sense of place leads to a multitude of styles across the globe. In this deep dive, explore wines from three benchmark appellations for Chardonnay and Pinot Noir respectively. Learn about the varietal signatures of each grape and how their flavor profiles change from the old world to the new.
JULY 16 Sommeliers’ Choices: Hidden Gems from Around the World
What do sommeliers’ drink at their own dinner tables? Travel the world (virtually, of course) with your own personal sommelier to discover all sorts of favorites from the pros, including grapes and regions you may have never heard of, the best producers and values in well-known regions and wines with compelling stories.
Photo Caption (upper right): Erik Segelbaum
WINE TASTING KIT INFORMATION
- The cost includes curated personal tasting kits with enough wine for one person to sample the full lineup of wines.
- Additional participants must register individually to receive their own tasting kits, which is an essential component of the series.
- Each session will have separate kits available for pick-up at The Eastern wine bar in the Capitol Hill neighborhood (360 7th Street SE; Metro: Eastern Market, Orange, Silver and Blue Lines). The schedule is as follows:
- Whenever I May Rhône: Thursday, May 6, 12–4 p.m. and Friday, May 7, 12–4 p.m.
- Grape Explorations: Thursday, June 3, 12–4 p.m. and Friday, June 4, 12–4 p.m.
- Hidden Gems: Thursday, July 15, 12–4 p.m. and Friday, July 16, 12–4 p.m.
- Pick-ups are contactless, with all appropriate health, safety, and social distancing precautions. Due to state and federal laws, wine kits may not be shipped.
- NOTE: Patrons will receive additional wine tasting kit pick-up information by email prior to each session.
ABOUT ERIK SEGELBAUM
Erik Segelbaum is a Wine Enthusiast 40 Under 40 Tastemaker for 2020 and Food & Wine magazine’s 2019 Sommelier of the Year. He holds the designation of Advanced Sommelier through the Court of Master Sommeliers, one of fewer than 600 specialists in the world who hold this level of certification. Segelbaum is the former corporate wine and beverage director for Starr Restaurants, a wine journalist and educator, and chief vinnovation officer of SOMLYAY hospitality and private events consultancy.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of each session. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of each session, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.