Registration Advisory: Please read through the complete program description before registering. This series includes wine tasting kits as part of its ticket price that must be picked up from a local Washington, DC wine bar.
Note: These programs can be purchased separately. Registration for this series will end by 9 a.m. ET on Friday, October 14, 2022.
Spend three fascinating evenings expanding your knowledge of wine as you travel the world with sommelier Erik Segelbaum in a series of delectable wine-tasting adventures. Each immersive program includes a curated personal tasting kit to enhance the experience.
October 14 A Night in NorCal: California's Iconic Wine Regions
The North Coast region, comprising Napa, Sonoma, Lake, and Mendocino counties, produces nearly every style of wine imaginable. You may be most familiar with Napa Valley, but during this delicious exploration led by sommelier Erik Segelbaum, discover more of what this incredible wine region has to offer. Segelbaum highlights the various climates and terroirs that produce fresh and bracing Old World-style wines to plump, rich, and concentrated New World-style wines—and everything in between. Through guided wine tastings, learn why these regions have truly put America on the global map as a world-class wine producer.
November 18 Spanish Wines: They Belong on Your Vinous Radar Now!
When it comes to wine, Spain is among the world’s most diverse producers. This amazing country has everything from the bright fresh mineral and crisp wines of Rías Baixas to the intense and concentrated reds from Priorat. Segelbaum guides you through a Spanish immersion where you'll sip like Don Quixote on the wines of Castilla-La Mancha, discover what makes Rioja so special, and be surprised and delighted with the diversity and deliciousness of Spanish wine.
December 16 France’s Hidden Gems: Drink Like a French Sommelier
France captivates the hearts, minds, and palates of any wine lover. Despite being one of the largest providers of imported wine to the U.S., American consumption of French wine is largely limited to 4 or 5 major appellations. Erik Segelbaum guides you through a tour de force presentation of some of the most incredible yet lesser-known wines and regions of France. On this off-the beaten-path journey you’re sure to discover some of the most exciting wines France produces. If you've ever wanted to drink like a French sommelier, this is the session for you!
Wine Tasting Kit Information
- The cost includes curated personal tasting kits with enough wine for one person to sample the full lineup of wines.
- Additional participants must register individually to receive their own tasting kits, which is an essential component of the series.
- Each session will have separate kits available during two scheduled pick-up times the day before the program and the day of the program, 12–4 p.m. at The Eastern wine bar in the Capital Hill neighborhood (360 7th Street SE; Metro: Eastern Market, Orange, Silver and Blue Lines).
- Pick-ups are contactless, with all appropriate health, safety, and social distancing precautions. Due to state and federal laws, wine kits may not be shipped.
- NOTE: Patrons will receive additional wine tasting kit pick-up information by email prior to each session.
About Erik Segelbaum
Erik Segelbaum is a Wine Enthusiast 40 Under 40 Tastemaker for 2020 and Food & Wine magazine’s 2019 Sommelier of the Year. He holds the designation of Advanced Sommelier through the Court of Master Sommeliers, one of fewer than 600 specialists in the world who hold this level of certification. Segelbaum is the former corporate wine and beverage director for Starr Restaurants, a wine journalist and educator, and chief vinnovation officer of SOMLYAY hospitality and private events consultancy.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of each session. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of each session, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.